Thursday, April 1, 2010

Le Poisson d'Avril

So, this is just a quick note to let you all know that I'm actually not coming back to Texas after I finish in France. Instead, I've decided that I'm going to take another couple of years, and go live in Iraq. I think I will have a good time there! Papaw, no need to worry: I've heard that it's actually quite a lovely place to live, and very safe.









































NOT!!!

haha, April fools! Or as you say in France, "Poisson d'avril!" (this translates directly as april fish). In fact, the tradition of April Fool's started in France in 1564, when Charles IX decided to change the date of the new year from April 1 to January 1.  People joked around with this though, and used the day to give out fake gifts to each other. Also, in April, you're not allowed to fish (they're reproducing) but in the middle ages, people thought it would be funny to throw fake fish in the rivers to taunt the fishermen. These days, french children use the day to try and stick a paper fish on other peoples' backs (especially their teachers'!)

I hope you're all doing well, and have a happy April Fool's!

Love,
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment