Thursday, September 3, 2009

Paris, Je t'aime

The title of this blog post is absolutely true, though I did hate that movie....

Today I arrived in Grenoble from Paris, and I love it! I really like my family, and everything! But since I'm behind in posting, I figured I'll do the Paris part today, and after a few days here in Grenoble, I'll post again.

So I arrived in Paris after possibly the worst flight of my life. Seriously. Note to self: don't fly at 6 am ever again! I got up at 3 to get ready, and caught a taxi and was at the airport by 4. When I arrived in Paris (Charles de Gaulle), customs was a complete joke. I don't think the guy hardly looked at my passport, let alone my visa! There was no landing card, and for all they know, I could be staying here indefinitely, bumming off of locals! It's funny, because in London, the lady was like: "Where are you going? What are you doing? You've been her before? What were you doing then?" and the list goes on.... Mais pas en France!

I met up with our study abroad group, and we took shuttles to the hotel. Other note: avoid driving in Paris whenever possible. They are CRAZY drivers! I was so sure we would hit somebody, and it's like they don't get the concept of lanes. They just whiz quickly in and out however they please. They even go into oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road! Also, the fact that the spedometer is in km/h doesn't help you to calm down. I'm pretty sure going 130 in a 90 is way too fast!

Moving on, We did so much in Paris, so I'll just give some highlights. The first night at dinner, I had a typical french meal: Six escargots for l'entrée, boeuf bourgignon for the main course, and creme brulée for dessert. I was quite nervous about the snails, but I figure you have to try them at least once, so why not your first meal?! They were actually quite good. Kaycee, another girl in the program, says that it's all about the sauce. I have to agree with her.

We went to Versailles, which was really just too lavish for me. Almost disgusting how incredibly ornate everything was. The French spare nothing on decorating the royal palaces. I mean really, the Louvre wasn't enough for Louis XIV? (A side note- as an apology for spending all the taxpayers' money on Versailles, the sun king built the Parisians a bridge- with more of their money!)

We went to the Musée d'Orsay, le Louvre, Sainte Chappelle, Notre Dame, and le tour Eiffel. I enjoyed all, especially the Orsay. They have some excellent impressionist works. I was bummed that it was so very packed with tourists though. At the Louvre, we had a guide, and I kind of felt jipped, because we only saw 6 pieces in an hour and a half! I really liked winged victory though.

After the Louvre, I talked a group into going to Angelina's with me, and we had the best hot chocolate in the world! It completely deserves that title, I must say.

I think I have climbed well over 1000 stairs these past few days, and let me tell you- it is exhausting! I feel like with all of the walking around we did (One day another girl and I walked from Montmartre all the way back to the other side of the river where our hotel was), I will be in such good shape!

Anyways, I'm going to hang out with my family, and I'll post more later.

Some pictures:
Eiffel tower:

des escargots:

Awesome street performers near Sacré Coeur. They were singing, and playing with a soccer ball.

Me at Point Zero. I will be returning to Paris!

Angelina's chocolat chaud.

1 comment:

  1. AHHHH! I'm so jealous/happy for you! You're going to eat so much delicious food and your French will be great by the time you leave. Please try to convince them the correct English translation of "frites" is "Freedom fries" and not "French fries."

    ReplyDelete